- 2 Cups Rice (use sticky rice)
- 4 Cups of Water
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp of butter
1. Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
2. Drain excess water using sieve/colander.
3. Place rice in a pot or rice cooker.
4. Add 4 cups of water and pinch of salt to taste.
5. Cook the rice until soft and all the water is soaked up in the rice. Remove from heat.
6. Whilst hot add the butter.
7. Using the flat side of a wooden spoon, mix the butter into the rice and mash the rice until it’s soft and comes together in a ball. See video here for illustration.
8. Rinse a small bowl with water.
9. Place sizeable portions of the soft mashed rice into the bowl and using a wet palm, roll the rice into a bowl.
10. Repeat step 8 & 9 until all the rice has been rolled into balls. You can try different shapes if you wish.
11. Use cling film to wrap each ball up to prevent it from drying out.
12. Serve the rice ball with your favourite soup.