The basic ingredients in Suya is roasted peanuts, ginger powder & cayenne pepper powder. Some local spices are added to give it a special touch. When I was little, my mum would make us blend our own Suya mix. The great thing about making your own, is you can make it as spicy as you want it and you know what it's in it. Below is the recipe I learnt from my mum, very simple yet you achieve the exact or better taste than that bought from the shops.
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 1 – 2 tbsp cayenne pepper powder (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 large shrimp cube
- Pinch of salt
- Place the peanuts, ginger powder, cayenne pepper, shrimp cube into a food processor or blender.
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth and well mixed. Taste the mixture to see if you have enough heat from the cayenne pepper. I will recommend starting with ½ tsp of cayenne pepper and increase the quantity to your taste.
- Add a pinch of salt just to taste.
- Place the powdered mixture in an air tight container and store in a cool dry place.
spice can be sprinkled over roasted meats and kebabs or it can be used as a