Sunday, 1 March 2015

Adaakowa/Daakowa/Laakowa/Maamu

I have so many fond memories of when I was a little girl. One of them was Sundays, yes Sundays were special days because that's when I got to have money without having to work for it. My parents were very disciplined and they believed that one needed to work to earn money. So my mum would give me little chores to do and will give me a little reward usually money as a good job done, thank you. But Sundays were different, I got money to use as offering at church. Ha, guess what? not all the money went in the offering basket ;) God forgive me! But who can blame a little girl who had after church desires! Aaaah, there were a few local sweets, ice creams and snacks I liked and Sundays were not Sundays without me munching on one after church.

Adaakowa or Maamu as I used to call it was one of my favourites. This hot spicy yet sweet snack was definitely one of my usual selections. I will normally have about three types of snacks on a Sunday. I loved it so much and I hope you will love it to and share with your friends and children.


INGREDIENTS:
  •  ½ Cup Roasted Peanuts
  •  ½ Cup Roasted Corn Flour (pure tombrown)
  •  3 Tbsp Sugar
  •  3 Tbsp Ginger Powder
  •  1 – 2 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper (to taste, reduce quantity if required)
  •  5 Cloves
  •  1 Tsp Black Pepper
  •  Pinch of salt
  • 4 Tbsp tap water or just enough to mix into a mould
  • Olive Oil to rub palms when moulding
PREPARATION:
  1. Place the peanuts, roasted corn flour, sugar, ginger powder, cayenne pepper, cloves, black pepper and salt into a food processor or blender. The cayenne pepper is fiery hot so if you don’t want a fiery hot Adaakowa, start with ½ tsp cayenne pepper.

  2. Blend all the ingredients together until smooth and well mixed. Taste the mixture to see if you have enough heat from the cayenne pepper.

  3. Place the powdered mixture in a bowl and add 4 tbsp of water to start with. Using your fingers, bring the powdered mixture into a mould.

  4. Add a bit of water if required, using a teaspoon of water at a time. Use enough water just to make a mould.

  5.  Now take a portion of the Adaakowa and using your palms roll it into a ball. To make rolling easier, just lightly rub a bit of olive oil in your palms before rolling. Roll all the mixture into balls.

  6. And there you have it! Your Adaakowa is ready to be eaten as a snack or sweet after meals.


2 comments:

  1. was searching for ofam, and i got here....... keep it up.... you shall see more of me, we used to call this zowe, and oh my.... heaven knows how much i crave this , unfortunately , only see very old women hawking these, so cant patronize... (ashamed) but would try it soon.... hopefully very soon.thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Aivie, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the compliments. Please stop by again and again. :). If you are on instagram do follow as I have more exciting things on there too. Joana

    ReplyDelete